Best 15 Unseen Beaches along the Konkan Coastline You must Visit
- Mar 1st, 2018
- Post by: ShortBreakCo
- Comments: 0
What is the first thing that comes to your mind, when someone says Beaches?
The answer is obvious – GOA!!
But are you aware, that apart from Goa, there are many more interesting beaches along the coastline of Maharashtra?
Now, I know that for most people, nothing can compare to the view & luxury offered by the majestic beaches of Goa, what with its sparkling waters, pristine sand, affordable shacks & water sports.
However, people often forget that there are many more beaches along the Konkan Coastline, that are as good as, if not better, than Goa. These beaches are just waiting to be explored!
These relatively unknown beaches are often secluded, making them perfect place for relaxing, while at the same time providing some spectacular, breathtaking views of the Arabian Sea.
Want to share this on your site? Just copy the code below!
Quick Overview of what is covered:
This infographic is an ultimate list of 15 Unseen Beaches along the Konkan Coastline You must Visit.
So, don’t wait any longer!
Dive in to this infographic and find yourself a weekend getaway that will give you the break you deserve!
Listed here are 15 relatively unknown beaches along the Konkan coastline, which deserve to be your next holiday destinations.
Until a year ago, not many people knew that there was a small village known as Velas, situated in Ratnagiri, along the Konkan Coast.
- Major Attraction: It was only when a large population of Olive Ridley Turtles, which is an endangered species, was discovered along its shoreline did it become famous.These turtles, which are the migrating kind, lay their eggs on this beach every year. And to protect these endangered species, the villagers, with support from other organizations, have founded the SahyadriNisaraga Mitra Organization, which conducts a Turtle Festival every year to spread awareness about their cause.
- Nearby Attractions: Apart from the Turtles, this beach also as other scenic attractions around it. Some of these attractions are the Bankot Fort, Mahalakshmi Temple and an old temple of Shri Bhairi Rameshwar.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is November to May. And the popular Turtle festival is generally held in the month of March
- How to get there: The nearest city to Velas is Ratnagiri at about 197kms.
From Mumbai, Velas is about 263 kms and it takes approximately 6hrs to reach there via Mumbai – Pune Express Highway.
- Accommodation: Once you arrive in Velas, you could find decent dormitory style accommodation with Kasav Mitra Mandal, an organization, that provides lodging & boarding along with good home-cooked food at a very reasonable price.There are also a few individually owned small home stays, which provide separate rooms with basic facilities at a nominal price.
Calm & still, untouched by the maddening crowd, this 2 kilometre long stretch of beach with its white sand & secluded location is a treasure to human beings by nature.
It is surrounded by a thick grove of Palm, Coconut & Beetle trees; offering you a relaxing atmosphere amidst tranquil surrounding. Plus, the picturesque landscape around the beach, will surely make you fall in love with nature all over again.
- Major Attraction: Anjarle is also famous for its Ganapati Temple known as the ‘Kadyawarcha Ganpati’.Built on a cliff, this temple offers you a view of a unique representation of the idol of Ganpati, with its trunk curve to the right rather than the left, thereby, giving him the title of Ujwya Sondecha Ganpati, meaning trunk curved towards the right.
- Nearby Attractions: The beach also has a small port near the Jog river, which is another popular tourist spot. Other attractions include the Suvarnadurga Fort, Kanakdurga Fort & an old lighthouse, which are all located a little further from the Anjarle beach.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is November to February
- How to get there: Located about 20km from Dapoli, Anjarle is about 267kms from Mumbai and can be reached in around 6hrs via Mumbai-Pune Express Highway. If you are unsure about its exact location, you can travel to Dapoli & from there you could reach Anjarle by local MSRTC buses or private jeep.
- Accommodation: Since Anjarle is a small village, there are not many options in terms of accommodation. Thus, if you want to visit this Konkan beach, then you could stay at this eco-friendly retreat in Dapoli. This place in Dapoli offers you accommodation in the form of bamboo cottages, tree houses and log cabins with unlimited buffet-style lunch and dinner.
An ideal location for swimming enthusiasts, Velneshwar beach is particularly well known for its rock-free beach. You can spend hours swimming or frolicking in the clean water, accompanied only by calm & breezy atmosphere.
The landscape around the beach, which is covered with swaying coconut trees, gives you the experience of being on a tropical island. And since this spot is still not known by many people, you could enjoy its beauty in its entirety without the fear of being disturbed.
- Major Attraction: Velneshwar as a Fort nearby, called the Anjanwale Fort or the Gopalgad Fort. Rich in historical significance, this fort is situated on top of a mountain & has been witness to the rise & fall of the Maratha Kingdom, making it a popular destination amongst the locals.
- Nearby Attractions: Another popular attraction is the Velneshwar Shiva Temple, which is believed to be around 1700 years old. This place is frequented by many pilgrims especially during Maha Shivratri Festival, which is celebrated on a large scale in this village.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is usually between October to May.
- How to get there: Velneshwar is about 80km from Ratnagiri. From Mumbai Velneshwar is about 395kms and can be reached by road or rail. If you are travelling by car, it will take you about 8 hours to reach Velneshwar via Mumbai-Pune Express Highway
- Accommodation: As for accommodation, there are hotels available near the Temple itself or you can stay at the government run resort near the beach. However, to enjoy your holiday to the fullest, we suggest renting a cottage at this homestay in Ratnagiri. This homestay is a delightful property with scenic surrounding and provides you with all basic amenities in tandem with delicious home-cooked meals.
A splendid place along the Konkan Coastline, Kondura is a small, off-beat beach almost hidden from the world and is peculiar as it lies between two mountains, thus earning the title of The Rocky Shore Triangle Beach.”
It gives you a majestic view of mother nature alongside a breezy & relaxing atmosphere.
- Major Attraction: Its shoreline is adorned with silvery white sand, smooth pebbles and a number of migratory sea birds. Among the sea birds you are more likely to see the Brahminy Kite or the Red-backed Sea Eagle, who are native to this beach.Further owing to its clear blue water & pleasant atmosphere, this beach offers a solitude that young couples may find attractive.Since there are no other sightseeing options available in this village, you could stroll along this beach for hours, build a sand castle or collect pebbles and sea shells.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is November to March.This place, with its mysterious characteristics, can be visited for a romantic getaway or you could visit it, to just simply rejuvenate your soul. But before making a plan, it is suggested that you check on the climate condition as this area usually gets storms during monsoon.
- Accommodation: For accommodation, there are some hotels & guest houses nearby that are well maintained & affordable, and which provide good coastal food. But, if you want to make the most of your holiday, then we recommend that you book a stay at this one of its kind nature stay in Vengurla. This stay offers you luxury rustic cottages with modern amenities, outdoor activities and authentic Malvan cuisine prepared in an organic manner.
- How to get there: Situated in Vayangani village of Vengurla Taluka, you can reach Kondura by arriving at Vengurla (68kms) & from there you could hire a cab or a private car, that will drop you to this beach.
Ruled by the Portuguese, some 300 years ago, Korlai is one of the best places to visit in Alibaug, Maharashtra and is known for its cultural & historical significance.
Today, Korlai is mainly populated by a small number of Roman Catholics & local fisher folks. And hence you will not find much activity along its coastline, making it an ideal destination for quiet musings & a refreshing change from the busy city life.
The Korlai beach, which is a part of the best beaches in Alibaug list, though small, offers an alluring view of the Arabian Sea. The sunset here is one that you can’t afford to miss. Also, if you are lucky enough, you might see Curlews, a long beaked sea bird, that dots the shoreline of this beach every year.
- Major Attraction: Korlai is most famous for its ancient Fort & Lighthouse. The Korlai Fort which was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century, sits on the top of a hill on an island. From there you can view the entire Korlai village, which is situated at the foothills of the island.The lighthouse tower which was built after India’s Independence is also worth visiting and it is open for visitors between 4pm to 6pm.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is between October and March.
- How to get there: Alibaug is the closest town to this place at about 100kms from Mumbai and can be reached via NH66 route. Another option is taking a ferry from Gateway of India, Mumbai. The ferry will arrive at Mandwa & from there it takes about an hour to reach Alibaug. Korlai is about 20km from Alibaugand you will find plenty of buses or auto-rickshaws that will take you to this place.
- Accommodation: While you can stay at some of the best resorts in Alibaug, Korlai has no hotels, but there are a few villas & home-stays that provide basic facilities with meals. One such homestay is this Portuguese-style beach villa. This villa in Korlai is a secluded property ideal for a romantic getaway or a small get-together and offers meals that include vegetarian & non-vegetarian breakfast, lunch, dinner.
A lovely & scenic place, the Kelshi beach is an impressive stretches of land along the northern coast, untouched by regular tourists. The peaceful serenity of this beach will reinvigorate you and help you relax, making you feel calm & stress free.
Along the beach, you will find various trees of Coconut, Mango, Cyprus & Beetle Nut and this place offers many sightseeing options.
- Major Attraction: From the famous Mahalaxmi Temple, to the remarkable Yaqub Baba Dargah, its unexplored beaches, to the splendid Siddhivinayak Ganpati Temple, this small village has many interesting places that are worth visiting.But one of the most unforgettable sights in Kelshi, is that of the naturally formed Sand Dunes. Now who would have ever thought, that Maharashtra would boast of having its own sand dunes along the Konkan coast!Located near the Bharja river, these sand dunes were naturally formed during a Tsunami that dates back to 1524 and are 50ft high making it a rare sight that will surely blow your mind with its splendid grandeur.
- Nearby Attractions: Coming to the sites, the Mahalaxmi temple, is one of the oldest in this village and was built in 1808 during the Peshwa regime. Whereas, the historical Yaqub Baba Darga, built by Shivaji Maharaj, the only Dargah ever built by him in Maharashtra is located here
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is November to February
- How to get there: Kelshi is about 34km from Dapoli. From Mumbai, it takes about 5 hours via the NH66 route, to reach this place.
- Accommodation: There are no hotels nearby. The only option for accommodation here is staying with one of the locals. However, for a fun, frolicking vacation, we suggest booking a stay at this luxury beach villa in Dapoli. This property is an awesome stay especially for nature lovers and offers you modern comfort alongside scrumptious home-cooked meals.
About 19km north of Malvan and after a hike of about 1km from the main road, you will come across a spectacular stretch of white sandy beach accompanied by crystal clear water, that will make you want to walk bare feet on it.
This glorious beach is a part of Tondavli village, and it is the one place that will guarantee you hours of undisturbed solitude.
- Major Attraction: Nestling in between the Kalaval Creek & the Arabian Sea, Tondavli beach offers you a three sided view of blissful, majestic water. Tondavali’s major attraction is the Kalaval creek, that has Palm trees lined on either side of its banks. As a result, you will see many water sports organized in this area.You can also see dolphins without venturing far into the sea and a boat ride along the creek will take you to the twin island of Khot-Juva and Paan-khot Juva.
- Nearby Attractions: The other attraction includes a temple of Shri Vagheshwar, a local-deity and Shri Datta Mandir.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is between October to April.
- Accommodation: In terms of accommodation, there are plenty of affordable hotels & resorts near the village. But, if you are looking to spend some quality time with your family & friends and need privacy, then we recommend this splendid villa in Malvan. This homestay is spacious, provides modern amenities and is close to the beach, making it a perfect retreat for beach lovers. Also since fishing is the main occupation in this village, you will be able to try out different varieties of fish cooked in local style Malvani masala.
- How to get there: The distance from Mumbai to Tondavali is 450kms and it takes upto 10 hours to travel there by road. The nearest railway station to Tondavali is Kudal at 45kms.
Bikers Paradise ,Hedvi is a small rocky beach on the west coast of the Konkan region, between Guhagar-Velneshwar and Ganpatipule.
This small bay of black sand beach, is not beautiful or even striking, its only charm lies in the fact that there is something wild, untamed about it.
It is a place that gives you the freedom to express yourself and at the same time allows you to enjoy the sheer joy of experiencing something blissful yet simple.
This place is not recommended for the faint hearted as there are huge Fire ants, scorpions & even small tree snakes around it. Plus, you will rarely find a network for your mobile phone, but in case of an emergency there is an old-fashioned STD booth nearby.
- Best Time to Visit: Hedvi can be visited all round the year, but the best time to visit this place is between November and February.This beach is an ideal destination for people who are looking for an out-of-box experience & independent travellers, who are not afraid to enjoy a bit of a wild adventure.
- Major Attraction: A naturally formed gorge, popularly known as Brahmanghal near the coast, where sea water shoots upto 100 ft high during high tide, is a popular attraction on this place.Swimming on this beach is not recommended. And if you don’t mind a bit of trekking, there are a few prominent sites around this place that are worth visiting.
- Nearby Attractions: There is a famous Dashabhuja Ganesh Mandir, where the idol of Ganapati is about 3 feet high with 10 hands, carved out of a white Kashmiri marble stone. And a small temple of Uma Maheshwara, which is mostly frequented by locals.
- Accommodation: As far as accommodation is concerned, there are no hotels or resorts around it, but there is a locally owned place known as “Suruchi”, where you can rent a couple of shacks along with meals.
- How to get there: Hedvi is approximately 300 kms from Mumbai via NH66 route, the closet town there being Chiplun (46kms). Getting there by a car or on a bike is highly recommended.
Termed as one of the most romantic beaches along the western Konkan coastline, Karde offers you a simple yet delightful view of the Arabian Sea alongside a vast expanse of silky sand beach.
It is also the longest beach on the Konkan coast, making it a perfect place for long leisurely walks & quiet contemplation. You will also find a number of Sheoak plantation near the beach, which lends the beach a natural shelter during hot summers.
- Major Attraction: Karde Beach is particularly famous for its Dolphin sightings. But again this is a matter of luck. The ideal time to spot a Dolphin is early in the morning and you can arrange for a boat ride with the local tour operators, who might charge you anywhere between Rs.150 to Rs.200 per person.The water too is immaculate & safe for swimming, making this place a perfect holiday destination for family & friends.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is October to March. And the sunset here is one that you can’t afford to miss, as it is simply spectacular. Also at night, the soft balmy breeze allows you to be on the beach, where you can light a bonfire & talk, eat or sing until early hours.
- Accommodation: The accommodation here is fairly affordable with a good number of hotels & resorts along the beach. However, to make your vacation more special & to enjoy undisturbed solitude, we suggest this boutique resort in Dapoli. An eco-retreat, this resort is a traditional stay with luxurious accommodations and has a multi-cuisine restaurant.
- How to get there: Karde is about 13kms from Dapoli. The route to Karde is slightly confusing & therefore it is best that you hire a car when you reach Dapoli, which will take you down to this place.
A white sand beach with clear blue waters, Nivati is a place that offers you a splendid view of nature in all its grandeur. Located in a small village called Parule; Nivati beach will leave you spellbound with its serene & striking natural beauty.
You will see greenery around the beach that mostly consists of palm & coconut trees. And apart from a few sea birds & fishing boats, this beach is completely deserted.
- Major Attraction: An unexplored place, the Nivati Rock – which is a cluster of 3 rocky islands about 10 miles into the sea, is a prominent attraction around this place.These nautical rocks would particularly interest people who love to explore the aquatic world and if you are lucky enough, you might chance upon a dolphin too. Also there is a 5km long stretch of backwaters, that gives you a view of paddy fields.
- Nearby Attractions: The Nivati Fort, which though in ruins, still offers a splendid view of the beach and sea from its parapets.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is October to April
- How to get there: From Mumbai, it takes upto 10 hours to travel to Nivati by NH4 route. If you don’t want to drive that far, you could always travel by train till Kudal. From Kudal, Nivati is approximately 20kms away.
- Accommodation: For accommodation, you could check into any of the hotels and resorts that are available near Nivati beach. But, if you are a nature enthusiast then should check out this eco-friendly stay in Vengurla. Surrounded by lush greenery, the simplicity of this place is a perfect antidote for a city weary soul.
Mainly renowned for its Temples , the Kunkeshwar beach that lies behind the temple, is an impressive stretch of shimmering reddish sand and the water there is the colour of blue sky. This beach is perfect for a quick swim & on rare occasions you might even see dolphins.
Surrounding the beach are numerous coconut & mango trees, and the famous Alphonso mangoes are grown here on a large scale.
Kunkeshwar may not be the usual quiet destination that you envisioned, but this place is worth visiting as it offers rich experience in terms of history & mythology.
- Major Attraction: The prominent Kunkeshwar Shiva Temple which date backs to 1100 AD, is the highlight of this village. Built by the Yadavs, the Temple architecture is similar, to that of many South Indian Temples and was frequently visited by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
- Nearby Attractions: Another attraction are the Caves which were discovered in 1920. This caves consist of beautiful carvings of Lord Shiva, Parvati, Ganesha & Nandi, along with few other sculptures of female & male warriors.There is also another small beach called Tara Mumbri beach, situated about 4kms form Kunkeshwar, which is pretty isolated and offers a stunning view of the Arabian sea.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is October to March
- How to get there: Kunkeshwar is about 14km from Devgad. There are many state & luxury buses available from Mumbai to Kunkeshwar. But if you are travelling by train, you need to get down at Nandgaon & from there, Kunkeshwar is about 45kms by road.
- Accommodation: There are several luxury accommodations available near Devgad, but if your planning to stay in Kunkeshwar, you can find rooms at affordable prices at local hotels.
Surrounded by hills & swaying coconut trees, Khavane is a solitary beach amidst peaceful surroundings.
An idyllic village, Khavane is blessed with pleasant environment and a glorious beach. And like all the beaches around the Vengurla area, Khavane too is endowed with a stretch of white sand with clear blue water.
There is not much to be seen in village apart from this glorious rocky beach. Thus, this place is ideal for people looking for a secluded spot, where they can just stroll on for hours along the rocky slopes.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is around October and April.
- How to get there: Khavane is about 525kms from Mumbai & 15kms from Vengurla. The nearest station is Kudal, from there you can reach Khavane by local state run buses or private vehicles.
- Accommodation: There are a few home-stays around this place that offer lodging & boarding at an economical price with authentic local food.
A blissful hideout, Mithbav is a silvery sand beach with turquoise blue water and is enclosed with Mango plantations and has a few coconut tress around it. The evenings here are particularly beautiful, making this place an ideal spot for late night camping
The gentle balmy breeze along with the soothing sound of the waves, will lull you into a pleasant state of euphoria, leaving you stress-free & relaxed.
- Major Attraction: The Gajbadevi Temple is very famous in this area. It is a rock carved Temple, perched on small plot, a few kilometres from the beach, with a spectacular view of mountains in the front & a glorious sight of the sea behind it.
- Nearby Attractions: One of the interesting & quirky places in this town, is the Betaal Mandir, dedicated to a wandering spirit & much revered by the locals. This temple is very small and located just off the Mithbav beach.
- Accommodation: There are a couple of home-stays & guest houses nearby, that provide accommodation with basic facilities.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is around October to March
- How to get there: Mithbav is approximately 480kms from Mumbai, with the nearest station Kankavli being at 55km.
A hub for different varieties of marine life, Redi Beach is a real treat for people who enjoy snorkelling & scuba diving. You will get to see live colourful Corals, Sea Anemone and a variety of different sea life along the rocky patches of this Beach.
This place also offers you an arresting view of the Arabian Sea in all its glory, alongside the finest & softest sands that you will ever walk upon.
Bordering the beach is a wide plantation of mango grooves, palm & coconut trees and you will also find plenty of cashew and beetle nut trees around this area.
- Major Attraction: Redi is sometimes known as the temple town of the Konkan region, as it is dotted by many temples like the Ganesha Temple, Swaymbhoo Shiv Temple, Mauli Temple, Navadurga Temple and the Rampurush Temple.But the most prominent temple amongst these is the Ganesha Temple or as popularly known, the Redi Ganesha Temple. Discovered in 1976, this 6ft tall monolith Ganesha idol, is believed to be a vigilant & wakeful deity, who always answers the prayers of his followers.
- Nearby Attractions: Another fascinating monument in Redi is the Yeshvantgad Fort. Built in 16th century by the Marathas, this Fort once held a very strategic position along the coast, but today due to neglect, mainly lies in ruins.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is around mid October to May.
- How to get there: From Mumbai, Redi is around 504kms and it takes about 7 hours to reach there by road.
- Accommodation: As for accommodations, there are a few hotels & resorts around this place, that offers budgeted rooms.However, to experience the fun of a luxury getaway right in the midst of the Konkan region, we recommend this amazing pool villa in Sawantwadi. From contemporary accommodation to modern conveniences and yummy, spicy coastal food, this stay offers it all!
A long stretch of peaceful & charming beach, Ade is by far the most secluded & quietest beach, you will find along the Konkan coastline. Nestled in a quiet cove, this beach with its white sand & rocks is lapped by bluish water and remains unspoiled in its natural splendour.
It is encircled with coconut trees, beetlenut groves & thick Kevda plantations, lending this beach the term, “Lone Man’s Paradise.”
The view of the sunset from this beach is magnificent, making this place a perfect getaway for young couples, who are seeking a quiet place, where they can be themselves.
- Major Attraction: Aside from this impressive beach, Ade is also well known for its Shree Bhargavram Temple. Dedicated to Lord Parshuram (Bhargavram), this ancient temple, with its simple architectural design, presents a unique facet of Indian temples, which are widely known for its opulent grandeur.Apart from the main temple, the area surrounding it is divided into small complexes & each complex is devoted to other Indian God & Goddesses.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit this place is November to February
- Accommodation: Staying with one of the locals is the only option of accommodation available in this area. Or you could travel back to Dapoli and check in at this wooden-style cottage. These cottages in Dapoli is well-facilitated with modern comforts like AC, TV and more. Plus, it offers you a serene environment for a stress-free vacation.
- How to get there: To reach Ade, you need to travel from Mumbai to Dapoli and from Dapoli this beach is about 30kms away. Once you arrive at Dapoli, you can rent a car or travel by local buses.
So here is a list of 15 most beautiful & thrilling beaches along the Konkan coast.
These places, which are just a few hours from Mumbai, are well worth an experience. So, if you are looking for a break and are not afraid to test the waters to unknown territories, these fantastic places are meant for you.
Also, experiencing something new, can sometimes just be the thing that you might need, to get back your perspective or reconnect with the ones you love.
So venture out and check out these amazing places that will surely leave you spell bound. Like the old saying goes, “The best thing about memories is making them.” Make sure you create a memory that’s worth sharing too.